Friday, October 11, 2013

Crab Fest IX 2013


Another year, another Crabfest at The Hungry Cat (see Crabfest VII and Crabfest VIII) ... YUMZ! I wouldn't miss this for the world ... even though sometimes I really have to move my schedule around to accommodate the crab eating. This year, my boo Judy went with me (hi Judy!) and it was her first time. I was excited to show her the ropes.

The menu is prix fixe and consists of five courses. Taxes and gratuity is included within the price of the ticket, but drinks are extra. I'm not a drinker, but I have watched the bartenders/mixologists make their concoctions and they look tasty. Fresh squeezed juices for the drinks and everything.

crab cake, pork belly, fingerling potatoes

Maryland crab soup

jean's marinated heirloom tomatoes, provolone cheese

grilled corn, smoked paprika

beer battered soft shell crab sandwich, B&B pickles, spicy remoulade

Maryland blue crabs!!!

cornmeal scone, berries

I have to say, the dessert always kills me. Last year, I asked for TWO desserts because it was so good. We had great fun using the hammers and just tearing into the crabs with our hands - the best way to eat. Do I seem barbaric? Maybe a little bit.

But I have to admit, this year's Crabfest wasn't as good as the previous years. They stopped serving in real/ceramic plates and bowls, which is fine ... but I feel like the portions are smaller as well. Also, the prior years they let us have all the crabs that we wanted but they capped us off this year. Maybe the service was different because of the waitress this year? I'm not 100% sure but I'm still eager to try Crabfest again next year!

Also, this was the first year we didn't see Joel McHale. Noooo! Joel, you must go back to Crabfest again and enjoy the delicious crabs. This was the year where I was finally going to ask him for a picture too so that plan failed. But we did see Felicity Huffman and William H Macy with their kids.

The Hungry Cat
1535 Vine St, Los Angeles, CA 90028

No comments:

Post a Comment