Monday, June 4, 2012

Proof Bakery


I've heard and read some rave reviews on Proof Bakery, but have never tried it out. Atwater Village is located in this strange area off Hwy-2, somewhere between Glendale and Silverlake. It's a quaint little place, but not somewhere I pass by often. However, when Boyfriend was out of town in New York (yes, I'm back to updating that week again, after my Black Hogg and Osteria Mozza posts), I had a dentist appointment and was able to drive right past Atwater Village on the way from El Segundo into Altadena.

The space is small and the tables were all filled when I went, but it was full of natural light. The counter is set up so you have ALL the goodies in front of you and it makes it extremely hard to order. I like tasting a bunch of items so it was really hard for me to hold back and remember that I'd have to eat all the pastries by myself, since there was no human garbage can at home to shove leftovers upon.

who can resist this display?

chocolate chip cookie

valrhona chocolate croissant

salted chocolate caramel tart

lemon tart

strawberry rhubarb galette

Not to worry, I didn't eat all of this myself - I brought the lemon tart, chocolate tart and galette to work on Friday and had my coworker eat half of each with me for breakfast. Everything was great, with the salted chocolate caramel tart being my favorite. But then again, if you put a salted dessert in front of me, chances are that I'll eat it and love it.

Also, my asset manager always laughs at me when he sees me doing it but I'm perfectly ok with having cake for breakfast. When I was a kid, my mom would always give us cake for breakfast for a couple days after birthdays, because we'd buy a sheet cake from an Asian bakery and there would be leftovers. Is this an Asian thing or just bad parenting?

Proof Bakery
3156 Glendale Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90039

4 comments:

  1. I just discovered Proof after I moved back to Los Angles last month. It's now an obsession! The cappuccinos are the best I've ever had, almost as thick as mud, and so delicious. My favorites are the almond croissants and those thin salty baguettes at lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost croissants sound delicous! I'll have to try them next time.

      Delete
  2. wait, no espresso by Cognescenti?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I drank coffee ... though their iced tea was nice!

      Delete