Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Soy & Sugar Grilled Salmon


There are so many different ways to cook salmon - grilled, baked, boiled, smoked, poached, not cooked, etc. People love it, but I generally prefer my salmon sashimi-style. Most times restaurants make it dry dry dry. That's why I prefer to cook it myself so I can leave the center a bit pink and rare. If I even cook it at all.

However, I can't have sushi all the time. My crazy mom told me a story once about an actress who ate sushi five times a week, and had a stomachache, and doctors found maggots in her stomach. Is this true?!?! Probably not, but it freaked me out nonetheless. Servved the salmon with sauteed "water spinach" or "on choy" (which can be found in any Asian market and is actually getting very popular/mainstream) with preserved bean curd sauce. If you don't like the strong flavor of preserved bean curd, you can always just use garlic. Finished a healthy dinner with a plate of healthy fruit.


Soy & Sugar Grilled Salmon
Serves 4-6

1 1/2 lbs salmon fillets
garlic powder
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Season salmon fillets with garlic powder, and salt.

In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until thoroughly mixed. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag with the soy sauce mixture, seal, and mush around gently a bit to coat/absorb. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat grill on medium heat and ightly oil grill grate. You can do this on an outdoor grill or a stovetop grill. Place salmon on the grill and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily and is barely cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment