Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Substitute for Heavy Cream


I don't know about you but I don't just keep adorable glass containers of heavy cream in my refrigerator. Actually, my cream comes in those boring pint containers made of paper so if you know where to buy cream in glass jars or in those small gallon bottles like they always show on FoodTV, please let me know cause they are cutes.

But when recipes call for heavy cream, you can make your own in a pinch! Just melt 1/3 cup butter in the microwave. When it has melted, let it cool for a couple minutes and then pour it into 1 cup of whole milk. Stir together (it will be lumpy, as the butter will congeal in the cold milk) and then pour it into whatever dish calls for it. If you don't have whole milk (as I do not), also add 1 teaspoon of flour to the milk before stirring in the butter.

Voila! You now have a creamy tasting dish. Make sure you don't try to use this concoction for whipped cream, as it will not whip! Happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment