Monday, March 11, 2013

Shanghai No 1 Seafood Village Part II


I have a new go-to place for dim sum ... Shanghai Village No 1. I've had dinner here before, and while it was good, the price wasn't justified. By a long shot. However, like Sea Harbor, they have dim sum. Both places taste more authentic, more like what I ate when I was in Hong Kong ... however, this is NOT cheap dim sum. The best bang for your buck is still NBC Seafood on Atlantic.

I haven't been to Elite or Lunasia yet, but I consider myself to be somewhat of a conisseur on dim sum. And I've had some bad bad dim sum. Shanghai Village is more of a new-age dim sum place, where there are no carts. You order off a menu and the items are brought to your table. It does take away from the fun of peeking under all the covers to find what looks delectable off a cart.

pork ribs

 har gow (shrimp dumplings)

 shu mai (pork and shrimp dumplings)

 braised chicken feet

 deep fried taro

 Shanghai rice cakes

 Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce

beef rice noodles

 rice balls in sweet rice wine

egg tarts

The picture at the very top is the steamed pan fried pork buns. The bottoms are seared, like potstickers. And they are amazing, full of juice. They run out quickly so make sure you order them first thing when you sit down.

I'm very impressed with the dim sum here, and while it's a bit more expensive than the regular places, I think it's a great treat. I definitely won't come for dinner again, like I proclaimed last time, but on a Saturday morning at 1030am (before they get busy), this place really hits the spot.

Shanghai No 1 Seafood Village
250 W Valley Blvd, San Gabriel, CA 91776


No comments:

Post a Comment