Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sweet Potato Diet

Now that I'm going to the gym for the first time in my entire life, I've started thinking more about what I eat. Not because I'm becoming one of those crazy health-conscious fanatics, but because I've been going for about two months and haven't noticed any "changes." Basically, I don't look like Giesle yet, and that's just unacceptable cause I've put in a lot of hard work! Then my friend Jennifer tactfully (or bluntly) pointed out that in addition to increasing my activity/exercise, I've also increased my cake/pastry consumption. Hmm, this may be harder than originally planned.

However, in browing my weekly magazines, I came across a quick solution: the sweet potato diet! Through some basic research, I now know there is absolutely no merit to the "eat nothing but sweet potatoes for three days - it'll tighten everything up and you will look fab!" but every bit helps, right? Plus, sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients and fiber and at least it's not the baby food diet. So I went to the market and bought three different types of sweet potatoes, so there is variety. So far I've eaten one each for dinner and breakfast, then caved and had hot wings with fries during the Lakers playoff game.


Should you be inclined to experiment with me for this "diet", baking is the best way to get the full benefits. Boiling is good too, but then you don't get the fiberous skin; deep frying is definitely not an option at this time. Currently I'm eating them plain, since they are sweet by nature (about halfway though it gets slightly cloying), but feel free to add a pat of butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon - whatever you fancy.

Baked Sweet Potatoes
as many as you like

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly scrub the potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Place onto baking sheet with sufficient room in between them and bake for 75 minutes. The sweet potatoes will be soft on the inside and the skin will be crunchy with delicious caramelization. Split open immediately and fill it with bad-for-you goodies, or eat plain hot or cold.

1 comment: